Many of you must have heard about the 485 subclass visa but only a few of you are aware of its utility. Well, the visa subclass 485 has been designed for all those international applicants who have recently completed their studies and want to stay, study and work in Australia temporarily. This particular visa has two individual streams i.e. the Graduate Work Stream and the Post-Study Stream. The former is meant for applicants who have recently graduated with certain special skills and qualifications which are relevant to a particular Australian occupation.
On the other end, the Post-Study Stream allows international applicants to stay, study and work in Australia after graduating from a recognized Australian college/university. But, did you know that you need to meet certain English language requirements so as to qualify for both the visa streams? If not, then the below given write-up will provide a comprehensive information about the English language requirements to apply for any of the streams visa subclass 485 successfully.
English Language Requirements for the Post-Study Stream
While applying for the post-study stream of the 485 visa, you can meet your English language requirements in some of the following ways given below.
- You can sit and qualify for the English language test of Cambridge (CAE) by scoring 169 on an average including a minimum score of 154 in each of its bands.
- You can also qualify for the TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test) in which you need obtain a score of 64 in total, comprising a score of at least 14 in Writing and Speaking and 4 in Reading and Listening respectively.
- If you wish you can also qualify in the Pearson (PTE Academic Test) by securing a score of 36 in each of its bands accompanied by an average score of 50.
- You can appear and qualify in the Occupational English Test (OET) as well by obtaining a grade of B in each of its bands.
- You can also meet the English language requirements of the post-study stream of the visa 485 by being the holder of a valid passport of any of the countries given in the bracket. (New Zealand, Canada, USA, Ireland or that of UK).
Some of these English language requirements mentioned above have been framed newly by the Department of Home Affairs with effect from 18th April 2015.
English Language Requirements for the Graduate Work Stream
Well, when it comes to the English language requirements of the graduate work stream, it is exactly the same as the post-study stream mentioned above, the IELTS being the most important amongst all. But, there are a couple of reasons for which qualifying in the IELTS has become a must to apply for the graduate stream of the 485 visa successfully. Some of these reasons can be considered below.
- If the applicant wants to work for a reputed Australian organization where IELTS is considered as an essential criterion for him/her to meet relevant to a particular Australian vocational training program.
- If the applicant has registered at a reputed Australian organization to study, and where the test of IELTS is conducted without a failure so as to prove that the applicant holds an optimal competency in the English language and
- If the applicant wants to migrate to any of the following countries given in the bracket (New Zealand, UK, Canada and most importantly Australia)
Aside this, you will become eligible for the test of IELTS for the graduate work stream of the visa subclass 485 only if you have graduated from a recognised Australian college/university in the field of tourism industries, aviation, law, engineering as well as accounting. So, without wasting time any further, let’s take a look at the individual scores which you need to obtain in all the four areas of the IELTS exam i.e. listening, speaking, reading as well as writing.
How much you need to score in the IELTS exam?
The score which you will have to obtain in each of the areas of the IELTS exam i.e. listening, speaking, reading and writing can be considered below.
- Speaking: You need to secure a minimum score of 5.
- Listening: You need to secure a minimum score of 5 as well.
- Reading: You also need to secure a minimum score of 5 to qualify in the area of reading of your IELTS exam.
- Writing: You need to secure a minimum score of 5 too so as to qualify in the area of writing pertaining to your IELTS exam.
Apart from this, you need to secure an overall score of 6.0 to qualify in the IELTS exam successfully. This particular English language test is considered as compulsory and you need to comply with it without a failure if you also want to apply for the graduate work stream of the subclass 485 visa Australia successfully.
Which IELTS exam is best for you?
Well, don’t get this misconception that IELTS is one particular English language test which is meant for all the applicants of the graduate work stream of the 485 visa. Conversely, there are two types of IELTS exams, i.e. the IELTS General Training and the IELTS Academic meant to serve two different purposes. A brief introduction to both the types can be considered below.
- IELTS Academic: This particular IELTS exam is meant for all those applicants who want to apply for a professional registration or a higher education program whilst staying in Australia with the visa subclass 485.
- IELTS General Training: The General Training category of the IELTS exam is meant for all those applicants who want to attain a reasonable work experience in Australia either by attending a secondary education within a typical English speaking ambience or by registering for a particular training program over there.
To get through either of the IELTS exams successfully, you must attend a formal IELTS training session conducted by a competent PTE coach.
Get a professional assistance
If you have any further doubts or queries related to the English language requirements of the 485 visa, then get in touch with a professional migration agent perth and your appointed migration agent will help you in the best possible way in this regard.