La Liga President Javier Tebas said there is a 90 percent chance that the first Spanish match in the United States will be Girona-Barca in January and revealed that the League will receive 200 million euros to play in the U.S.
Tebas added that Manchester City, Girona’s majority shareholder, encouraged the Catalan club to participate in the initiative as part of a 15-year agreement that the League signed with American entertainment company Relevent last month while stating that no club was obliged to play in the U.S.
“I’m 90 percent convinced that the game is going to be played in the United States,” said Tebas about Girona-Barça in an interview on Onda Cero on Friday.
“We’ve been working with the bidders for over a year to find out how we can get there.”
“There’s no obligation to go and play in the United States, only the teams that want to go will go.”
The meeting will deprive Girona of a home match. Tebas confirmed that the club fans will be offered free flights to watch the game, which will be at Hard Rock Stadium in Florida, which has a capacity of 65,000 people.
Tebas said that the most important thing for “clubs is to enter and have a greater presence in the American market, which is very important.
“Girona is partly owned by City and along with (Miami Dolphins owner) Stephen Ross, we were told they were interested in playing this game.
“They are emerging quite a few teams that have offered the profile of Girona, because they see it as an opportunity and if there is good compensation for subscribers have the opportunity to travel to Miami, etc.. The expenses would pay ‘Relevant’ and Miami can go and return in the day without paying subscribers, “he said.
Girona, who moved to the first division for the first time in 2017, said they had received the offer to play against Barcelona, but that had yet to be officially confirmed.
“The club has accepted the proposal understanding that it is a great possibility of expansion and growth not only for Girona but also for our city and our territory,” said the club in a statement on its website.
“A little more than three years ago the Club was struggling not to disappear and now our goal is to consolidate in the First Division.”
“This action would be one more step in the will and the illusion of competing in the elite of football after the effort that we have all made in recent years and that has ended up taking us to the First Division.